Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summer School

I have big plans this summer, oh yes I do! I'm one of those moms that LOVES having her kids home. Sidenote: I'm also one of those moms that didn't necessarily love the newborn stage. *Gasp*. I know, it sounds evil. But until you have a baby that never sleeps and takes up screaming as hobby on day three of life, don't judge! Especially if said baby is your first and taints your view of newborns forever. :) Anyways, where was I going with this? Oh yes, I loved my newborns, but let's face it, I was excited when they could crawl, walk, eat table foods, and be somewhat independent. While others bask in babyhood, I really feel like childhood is my domain. So, back to my post...
For the first time, I'm doing a summer school of sorts with my kids!!!! (Can you tell I'm a little excited about this?)
I want there to be lots of unstructured outside play, but I think all kids need some structure, and I'm excited to be more hands-on with their learning and activities this summer.
I plan on covering lots of different subjects. Practical things like first aid and cooking, but also lots of things that foster imagination and creativity. One of the things I'm most excited about is introducing my kids to art. I ordered this book off of Amazon, and I couldn't be more excited:

It introduces kids to artists and their work, and then has ideas for art projects to try at home.  I think it's going to be a great place to start.
I also have lots of other fun ideas up my sleeve, including a magic mail bag that magically shows up every morning to deliver the supplies for that day's adventure, a spy school, a chef birthday party for my seven year old, lots of hiking, backyard camping, and tons more.  Stay tuned!
I'll try to keep the blog updated with our activities, but sometimes I get so caught up in enjoying our projects, that I forget to document them.  I'll work very hard to be better!

No comments: